NSW Purchased Brand New Faulty Toyota from Dealer - Refund?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Vsp

21 November 2017
Hi

I purchased a brand new Toyota Prado from a local dealer and after a service, it came back with an oil leak. I called the dealer to which I had to return the car for repairs. It was off the road for 4 days and we received the car back.

Since that time, a friend had noticed the car was blowing grey smoke and we noticed it was using a lot of oil. I once again talked with the dealer and they ask to take it back in to have a look. They have said to us it's down on compression in one cylinder and has an oil leak around the transfer case.

We have asked the dealer to refund or replace the car, to which they have responded with no.So we have referred the case to the office of fair trading. My my concern is the car will come back faulty again if repairs are done and we have just clocked 60.000. Warranty only covers to 100.000 so my question is, do you think I have a grounds to have this car refunded or replaced?

Clancy

6 April 2016
Don't think i have ever seen a Prado that does not blow smoke? No wait, I'm thinking of Pajero!

So what is the dealer suggesting they will do to fix it? I would not trust that same engine, but if they put a new engine in it, i would be happy with that.

Vsp

21 November 2017
Don't think i have ever seen a Prado that does not blow smoke? No wait, I'm thinking of Pajero!

So what is the dealer suggesting they will do to fix it? I would not trust that same engine, but if they put a new engine in it, i would be happy with that.
The dealer is has said they want to pull the motor down and find the problem and I'm guessing repair it which I'm not happy with I paid $72000 for a car that has had to to have motor pulled out twice and been off the road for over 4 weeks I don't think is is good enough!! Its just on 12 months old