Protection Order

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jo8686

18 November 2020
Can you get a protection order if you told someone not to contact you (reported it to police earlier) but we received an email again 2 months later? The email was friendly and saying "hope you are doing well"?

sammy01

27 September 2015
nope - and you're better off just avoiding the person. Don't respond.
Protection orders are for people who are under iminent threat of harm.

Reactions: CSFLW

Atticus

6 February 2019
Here's where you asked the same question 10 days ago >>> QLD - DVO

Got the same answer twice now... This isn't what protection orders are for.

Block the email

jo8686

18 November 2020
Yes I know I asked a similar question. I just need to get an answer from a lawyer. Are you a lawyer?

Atticus

6 February 2019
You may never get an answer from a lawyer on here... Don't have to be a lawyer to know the answer though.

You won't get a DVO because you were never in a relationship.

A protection order is more difficult to get than a DVO .... Sending an occasional friendly email is not going to be enough to get one, & neither it should .... Call the police, tell them what is going on & see what they suggest. I'm guessing something like... have you tried blocking that persons email.

jo8686

18 November 2020
I called police 6 weeks ago cause I was getting flowers too. I told police I don't want contact anymore. They called him and no contact since then but I got a short email again. It was written "hope you are doing well"

Atticus

6 February 2019
If you were sent a dead rat instead of flowers & an email threatening you harm instead of one asking if you are doing well, then the police may consider it grounds for a protection order... Doesn't seem to amount to stalking either..

If the police called him before, maybe they will do it again with a bit more emphasis on STOP contacting you.... In the meantime though... Why not block his email so you don'tr get them?

jo8686

18 November 2020
6 weeks dating. Then he contacted me on and off for the last 9 months. We had 8-9 email exchange 2 months ago and I told him not harrass me. Then he sent flowers and a balloon for me. I contacted police to cease the contact. They called him and he stopped. Around 2 months later I got a short email saying "hope you are doing well".