QLD DVO

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jo8686

18 November 2020
Hi, I would really appreciate if you could answer my questions?

Can you get DVO against someone who you dated for 6 weeks? (No relationship)

Can you get against someone who sends you an email once a month and asking how you are? Even though he is told not to contact.

Thank you for any reply.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Can you get DVO against someone who you dated for 6 weeks? (No relationship)
No.

You may be able to apply for a personal safety protection order at local court, but a once a month email, though possibly annoying does not constitute stalking or intimidation, so it may not be granted..

Protection orders are there for people who NEED protection for good reason, not to help a person manage an inconvenience... If you were to have an order served, you would also need to appear in court to justify it, he would have opportunity to oppose it & could be a protracted court process allowing him residence in your head.

Why not just block his email address?

Rosscoe

21 October 2020
I am not sure you would be able to get a DVO.

Are there any other behavior issues in addition to the once a month e-mail? e.g. social media interaction / stalking, contacting your friends? If so then you could get a protection order. The nature of the e-mail is also important. If there are threats / demands / unreasonable requests then that is cause for concern.