QLD property rights after seperation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ray123

25 July 2018
Hi

I have a question regarding rights for entering a house after divorce. If my ex wife left me over a year ago, however we're still in the process of settling the property and her name is on the mortgage but i've been the sole person living in the house since the separation, does she have any right to enter the house without my permission? or am i well within my legal rights to change the locks on the doors etc?

Thankyou
Ray

Ray123

25 July 2018
In the absence of any court order granting either of you the sole use and occupation of the property, you can change the locks and, similarly, she can enter the property.

Thank you very much for your quick response. Without having a key to the house however, she obviously cannot break into the property correct? and i am not under any legal obligation to provide her with a key? i am worried about items being taken from the house that aren't her's.

Thank you

Shanahan Law

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
30 April 2018
Sunshine Coast
www.shanahanlaw.com.au
Again, in the absence of a court order, there is no obligation to give her a key. If she breaks in you can contact the police to report a break and enter, but they have a tendency to steer clear (i.e. not prosecute) where the matter involves a separating couple.

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
I sure as s**t wouldn't charge someone with anything if she broke in.

The main elements for B&E/Burg/Enter with Intent are that the person enters the dwelling of another with the intent to commit an indictable offence.

The reasons I wouldn't is because:
1) the dwelling of another - she is on the title.
2) What indictable offence is she entering to commit?

Could go Trespass but even then, a person must not unlawfully enter... she is on the title.

sammy01

27 September 2015
You can change the locks.... She can break the door down. It is her door...

But this is a hypothetical... Has she said she is going to come steal your stuff?

So work on getting the whole thing settled amicably so you can both move on with your lives.

Ray123

25 July 2018
Thanks for the replies, i have been paying the mortgage for the last 12 months. I will look at changing the locks and getting something through the legal system regarding entering the house.

Thank you

Ray123

25 July 2018
You can change the locks.... She can break the door down. It is her door...

But this is a hypothetical... Has she said she is going to come steal your stuff?

So work on getting the whole thing settled amicably so you can both move on with your lives.

Thanks, unfortunately despite my efforts to be amicable, it doesn't seem to be on her agenda any more. I will just have to go through this the hard way, and try and get it done as quickly as i can. She has already entered the house before and taken stuff from the house without me knowing. nothing important yet, but the way its going thats not to say she wont in the future.

Reactions: Shanahan Law