SA Property Law - How to Deal with Unprofessional Property Manager?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

cocos

30 November 2016
Hello,

I hope I have come to the right place to seek property law help. I am a tenant with issues with my property manager.

I have been renting my place for the last 3 years and the property manager started off really good and then began not showing up for routine inspections when she said she would, then began rescheduling most of the time.

She will call and say "I won't be coming to tomorrow's inspection" and then she will show up anyway and just let herself in. This is very unsettling for me, and most recently, the last 2 times, she has not sent notices and just appeared in my place and let herself in with her own key to do the inspection. It's her word against mine as she claims she has sent the inspection notice yet I have not received it.

I have asked her to send it by registered post (at my expense) and she said she can't do that.

I work from home and own an online business as a virtual assistant, all my work is done on the web and no one ever enters my home for work-related stuff and my landlord is aware I work a home business and he has approved it and is totally ok with it.

Twice now, the property manager has shouted at me in my own home letting me know I shouldn't be working from home and ironically told me she should report me to the council but she won't do it because she is a good person (her words).

Just recently, she appeared again in my home, let herself in with her own key and I asked what she wanted and said she was carrying out the inspection. I said I have not got the notice and she said everyone else has, so she doesn't know why I didn't.

I told her that her behaviour is unprofessional and that I am going to seek advice as it is making me uncomfortable and she said there's nothing I can do about it and not to seek advice or tell anyone as she can do things to me that I can't ever have evidence of (all the while shouting at me).

Her entering my place whenever she likes is making me on edge and I am starting to have anxiety from it as I live alone and when I hear noises in the home now I fear she is in my home. She constantly threatened me not to seek advice or tell anyone what she is doing, but I am on the verge of a breakdown and I am no longer feeling safe in my own home.

My lease runs out in 6 months and I am thinking to move, despite loving the home I live in. She has made it a nightmare to continue living here. I pay a premium price in rent as I rent in an exclusive suburb and have a faultless record in my renting - never been late, never caused damage, never had bond taken.

I am really upset with what is happening and I don't know who to turn to for help and I can't handle the threats and abuse from this property manager.

If anyone can help please, if I can get help somewhere, please tell me. Thank you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You need to immediately send a letter to the owner/manager of the property manager business stating what is happening, including affect on your health. You should mention that it is a criminal offence to trespass.

Recommend you say that property inspections need to be accepted and confirmed by you in writing else they will be considered to be trespass and that the property manager owner will be held responsible for the actions of their employee.

Working from home doing web work is generally not an issue for landlords, though you should check your lease to be sure. Councils don't mind unless you have staff on the premises.

cocos

30 November 2016
Dear Rod,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I did tell her it was trespassing and she said it's not as she has sent the correct letter, giving notice (which I never received on separate occasions).

My landlord is aware of my web work as it's all online services based and there's no physical products being offered with what I do. And my lease states that he has approved for me to do the work that I am, although the property manager is making a deal of it every single time.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Send the letter. The bit about you needing to confirm appointments in writing is an important section. You need a document you can produce as evidence if things turn ugly.

Not being nasty in my comments, just making observations based on the limited information you have provided and trying to help. You seem like a passive person and are willing to let the agent trample your rights with impunity. Using some Aussie vernacular you need to 'man up and tell her to p..s off' if she starts to carry on. The agent has found a 'victim' for her bullying and you are allowing her to get away with it.

cocos

30 November 2016
Thank you Rod. I am going to take your recommendation.

I wasn't aware I was allowed to confirm appointments in writing but I will definitely be making sure that happens from now on. I didn't think you were being nasty in your comments at all.

I am very appreciative of your help.