NSW Property in Wife’s Name Only - Any Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Caro1

3 April 2015
My second wife and I purchased a property in NSW over 10 years ago. For reasons of the first home buyers grant, we purchased it in my wife’s name alone. Her daughter now lives in the property and has persuaded my wife into demolishing the property and building a house with separate granny flat.

While the concept may be reasonable, the daughter has no money and I can see the house being pulled down and vacant land left with no money to rebuild. My wife has said that because the property is in her name, I have no right and to butt out. What can I do? I have contributed to the home loans and all the bills and am now paying for the daughter’s bills while she lives in our home and we live at a friend’s holiday home.

S

Sophea

Hi Caro1, are you still with your wife or are you separated? If you were dividing your property post separation, a court would consider all of your assets jointly and the mere fact that a property is in your wife's name does not preclude you from having a share in it. However if you are still with your wife, I'm not what law you can rely on to gain some leverage in the debate.