QLD Problems After Family Court Trial - Options?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ProudFather

14 May 2017
Well, ordinarily, the alienating party is included in reunification therapy with the intention of changing their attitude toward the alienated party, which will obviously support the subject child in reunification therapy. It's less effective if there's still an alienating party lurking around causing problems, which is why they are often included.

Your situation is potentially a bit tricky. Yes, it most definitely is something you can mediate about, but I'm concerned about what happens if mediation fails, and I am inclined to think that it will fail if the psychologist won't assist with making the arrangements they're asking you to make. Obviously, the grandmother isn't very friendly toward you, so why would she comply with anything you request?

The psychologist really needs to be the objective third party here and the voice of reason that determines how this process moves forward. Indeed, that's literally their job. Perhaps you should put the pressure on them to assist by at least making a report of some description that you can present to the grandmother for her consideration first, and failing that, to the Court to get the orders changed - which, mind, is going to be nearly impossible without the psychologist's support, though there may be another way.

Can you tell me a little about the mother's reappearance? Did she participate at all in the Court proceedings? Is her time with the children stipulated in the orders? What's your relationship with her like?
Hey Allforher,

The children's mother and I split in 2009. She has had a tough battle with a history of legitimate mental illness, she had a lot of help from psychiatrists when she was a child a lot of the issues were from the MGM and MGF locked in a nasty custody battle for years. Culminated in self harm and drug use like sniffing etc and eventually being removed from the MGM and living with her Aunt and father from 13 onwards. She would smoke a lot of weed and has since she was about 11, however about 5 or 6 years ago started using ice, which made her extremely unstable and dangerous. This is when horrible s**t happened to the three children. I withheld them and refused to return them, intervened and mum made some changes supervised by MGM who seemed to be able to keep her in check, Great news and I returned them. Unfortunately it didn't last and the cycle continued by mum this time at the MGMs . The three girls love their mother very very much, and absolutely idolise their mum. However she just makes no effort to give up the crap she uses or find stable accommodation or get the medical help she needs. The MGM and I have always been extremely hostile towards each other.

Mum had nothing to do with the court process until the family report writer made a recommendation of sole parental and primary carer with MGM getting weekends fortnightly after counselling. Mum showed up to court with a notice of risk against my partner and an affadavit alleging my partner was abusing the three girls. In support the MGM having the children because she has un hindered access whenever she wants and won't see them otherwise, as a result this stalled the process because the judge gave her an opportunity to participate, another date was set and the usual meantime things such as more psychologists, reports, affidavits etc continued. The next court date was put back and a new judge was given the case (at the 3 year mark or there abouts). A directions hearing set 2 weeks later which mum didn't attend and The judge called a trial within 3 mths. Mum attended drugged off her head, got roasted by the judge, argued back then was told to sit down and be quiet. She was disruptive and refused to participate in a meaningful way so yeah a circus. Still the only way they can have some form of a relationship is under Nannas supervision and the mother was told by the judge if she cleaned herself up and provided medical evidence she has gotten help for her issues and and rehabilitation which was progressive and positive he would give her an opportunity in the future within 3 years.