LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Contravention of Family Court Orders - Mediation Needed?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by karrion1975, 22 March 2016.

1. karrion1975

karrion1975 Member

Hi, guys.

My partner has contravened family court orders relating to informing me of health practitioners that the children are seeing. After much snooping and many phone calls, I have found the information out. However, I would like to contravene the other parent on this because they seem to think the Orders are something to be taken lightly.

I have the appropriate form, however, everywhere I read always leads me back to thinking a medication certificate is necessary. I know that there are exceptions to the requirement of such a certificate, but the Family Law Act is a bit confusing and I'm unsure whether it is necessary or not. I

'm thinking perhaps just lodge the Contravention Application and the worse the Courts can do is tell me to go to mediation.

Any thoughts?

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

Waste of time and money filing a contravention over this. The only reason I would ever tell someone to file for a contravention order is for withholding a child against very clear orders.

karrion1975 likes this.
  3. karrion1975

karrion1975 Member

I'm finding it very difficult to obtain free legal advice in the small town that I'm in. One question is all I want to ask, but that equals big money to speak to a lawyer unfortunately.

4. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

Well, yes, you do have to attempt mediation to try and settle the dispute without court intervention. Actually going to court is a waste of time and money though. The court might order you both to attend a post separation parenting course, or at worst, impose a bond on the other party. A lot of emotional stress for not much outcome, in my view.

karrion1975 likes this.
  5. sammy01

sammy01 Well-Known Member

Yup, waste of time. Waste of time doing mediation too. You gotta learn to pick your battles and just being right doesn't mean it is a battle worth having. Being right and being able to get a good result is a battle worth having. This ain't one of them.

Hope this helps and karrion1975 like this.