VIC Private seller changed agreed price!

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

amberfiske

31 March 2017
Hi,

This time last year I purchased a puppy from a seller for $1600. About a month ago, I contacted the seller again about purchasing another puppy from her. The seller informed me that a female puppy would be no more than $1700 from her.

The sellers next litter of puppies were born and the seller sent me photos of the puppy I intended to purchase. Just as I was about to put down the deposit for the puppy I had now fallen in love with, the seller informed me that she had increased the price of the pup and the cost was not between $2500 and $3000.

I have text messages as evidence of all of this, including the original price given to me.

What laws and rights am I covered by to be able to purchase the dog at the advertised price?

Thankyou

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Amber,
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the seller has the right to change the pricing before the sale occurs. If you had deposited money based on the original pricing and then they changed it, it might be a different situation. Was the puppy advertised anywhere or was the old pricing just word of mouth and text. You might have a case if the text messages between you establishes a contract of sale but then she could probably prove that there was a change in the contract prior to enacting it.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
If they are a licensed breeder, then I tend to agree with @Lance.

If they are anything other than a licensed breeder,
then as a matter of ethics, you should not deal with them.