VIC Police Check lists non convictions

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


29 May 2020
Hi I recently had a police check completed for a job application and it listed two items on it. One was from 2014 for being questioned for Insurance fraud on a stolen vehicle which I was cleared from and they sent me a letter stating that I was no longer of interest. The second was in 2018 I was arrested under the Mental Health act taken to hospital and released that day, I was told by the officer that arrested me that this would not affect my record as I was being arrested for mental health safety. Yet it has shown up on my police check. How do I get these removed or how long do they stay on there.
  • Like
Reactions: unique


Well-Known Member
10 February 2015
I am surprised either of those showed up - Mental Health arrests definitely shouldn't. Ongoing investigations can show up, but if you say you were cleared of same then it shouldn't.


If you submitted an application form directly to Victoria Police you need to put your dispute in writing, including a copy your photo ID (eg current passport, driver licence) and any relevant details to:

Public Enquiry Service, Victoria Police,
GPO Box 919
Melbourne VIC 3001

In order to assist with the confirmation of identity, with regards to the resolution of any disputed criminal history information, you must provide as much additional information as possible. You may also be required to provide comparison fingerprints to assist in any determination however this will only be requested where necessary. No fee will be charged for taking comparison fingerprints.

An investigation will be conducted and you will be informed of the outcome by mail.

If you submitted an application via an interstate police jurisdiction you need to lodge your dispute with them according to their dispute process. Please make direct contact with the specific police jurisdiction.

If your check was conducted by an Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) Accredited body you must raise your dispute with them. The accredited body will arrange for you to complete an NPCS Dispute form which they will lodge on your behalf.