NSW phone call from a lawyer on a sunday

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Trying2bfair

19 February 2016
Hi all,

I received a call from a lawyer this afternoon and I'm baffled as to why, I was hoping anyone here could shed some light.
My sons father was just in the country visiting and I wonder if that may be why.
We have no orders in place and he resides in another country, I give h visitation as he requests it, I have never denied him having access.
But even if he had visited and had seen a lawyer about our custody arrangements, why would his lawyer need to contact me on a sunday or at all.
I would think they would serve me with papers to attend medittion or something?
Can anyone shed some light on if ex has gone and gotten a lawyer why they may be calling me or if you all think this is a bit odd.
I should note the answering machine when I called back is just a woman with an asian accent saying please leave me a message I will call you back no name and no company name, and the voicemail left was just in chinese.
Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Before getting carried away with speculation, how about you just call the lawyer back tomorrow morning and talk to them directly? Honestly, this forum isn't a Magic 8 ball.

Reactions: Corinne

Trying2bfair

19 February 2016
I wasnt asking for anyone to predict the future thats insane.
I would like to know if anyone has received a call from their ex's lawyer on a sunday or any lawyer on the Sunday.
Or if I being served would happen before anyones lawyer was calling me.
The whole thing sounds odd to me and all I was looking for was if others thought this was a legitimate normal way a lawyer would operate in a custody dispute.
I have every intention of calling them tomorrow, but have been feeling upset this afternoon and just trying to ease my mind.

Arche

20 March 2015
It does sound a bit odd. Be wary. Do you know for sure this person even is a lawyer?