SA Paying for Valuation Report for Property Settlement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


3 September 2014
I had a valuation on house contents done in case I needed a report for my property settlement. I do not need a written report. Am a liable for paying to receive a written report?


LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
More than likely yes. Why would someone do it free? Whether it is written or oral makes little difference, the valuer still put in the same amount of effort. If there was some kind of barter involved or family friend then maybe not. Depends on your discussions with the valuer.

John R

Well-Known Member
14 April 2014
Hi @Michelles1112
  1. I assume that you've obtained a house contents valuation because there is (or there is anticipated to be) disagreement in relation to the valuation of the house contents?
  2. An independent valuer is generally unlikely to simply provide a verbal valuation/number that you can rely on in your family law proceeding.
  3. If a valuation is performed by an independent valuer and both parties ultimately agree on the independent valuer's valuation, then its reasonable to request 50/50 split of the valuer's fee.
  4. In contrast, my understanding is that if the valuation is (or is likely to be) disputed, then it is generally accepted that each party is liable for their own valuer's fees (as with any other expert fees) unless the parties or Court agree otherwise.
Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.