NSW Partner's Previous Marriage Annulment - Is Paperwork Needed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


25 November 2015
I have a question relating to marriage and a previous annulment. My partner and I plan to get married next year. He got married once when he was young, but the marriage got annulled. He doesn't have any paperwork regarding this as things have been lost over the years with moving.

We have not seen a marriage celebrant yet, but I'm just trying to get everything organised and not sure whether we will need to provide anything in regards to this. I know with a divorce you need to provide paperwork, but technically since the marriage was annulled, does that mean we do not need to declare it?


I would call your celebrant or the department of Births Deaths and Marriages to ask about this. The Dept may have records that you can obtain in relation to the annulment.