WA Parking infringement no stopping zone

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bella999

30 April 2024
Hello,
I require legal advice for an infringement notice of $200 for parking in a no stopping zone in a cul del sac.
If I considered taking my case to court how would this measure up with the Magistrate?

My vehicle was parked in the no stopping zone momentarily as my car was booked in for service. I had no other alternative to park my vehicle in this zone. For years the cul de sac area had no restrictions for parking until recently.

RiffRaffMama

29 October 2020
You shouldn't need to take it to court. Most parking disputes can be sorted at the local council level. I have gotten out of parking fines several times through contacting the local council and explaining to them what happened. They will have an appeal process. Check their website. If you would like help with wording a letter to them, PM me and I'll help you out.

Bella999

30 April 2024
Thank you for the reply.
I have appealed the infringement notice three times. They won't dismiss the fine.
I need to seek legal advice.
If you have a template that I can use, please attach the file. Many thanks.

RiffRaffMama

29 October 2020
I've found that magistrates tend to be pretty straight down the line generally, as in, if there was a law and any reasonable person would understand what the law means you can and can't do and you broke that law... then you are guilty, and worse, often they will increase the penalty because you had the nerve to exercise your rights and request a hearing with a magistrate, rather than just Darren the Parking Inspector with a chip on his shoulder and a superiority complex.
It's a wonder they still responded to you after the first review request. What reason specifically have they given for confirming the fine each time?

Bella999

30 April 2024
They're a nasty piece of work
Don't understand why they have an Appeal system.
If I consider disputing in court it clearly maybe a waste of time.