SA Parking near/across driveway, at the end of a cul-de-sac.

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by Heaven and Hell, 17 July 2019.

  1. Heaven and Hell

    17 July 2019
    Likes Received:

    I live at the end of a cul-de-sac. I regularly find that there are cars parked within the round part of the end of the cul-de-sac, and often partially or fully blocking my driveway and/or parked perpendicular to the curb. I have contacted the police about this but have been informed that this is only illegal if the driveway is completely obstructed.

    I found the South Australian LOCAL GOVERNMENT (PARKING) REGULATIONS 1991, which classify the following as offences:
    28. (1) A vehicle (other than a motor cycle) that is parked on a road must, unless it is in a parking zone in which vehicles must be angle parked, be parallel parked.
    28. (5) A vehicle must not be parked so as to obstruct access from a public place to—
    (b) a driveway, crossing place or other vehicular pathway leading to or from such an entrance or exit,​
    and, in any event, a vehicle must not be parked within 1.8 metres of the approach or departure side of such an entrance, exit, laneway, driveway, crossing place or other vehicular pathway.​

    I have not found anything specifically prohibiting parking in the end of a cul-de-sac. This may be a moot point as it would be impossible to park in the end of the cul-de-sac without being parked within 1.8 metres of a driveway.

    However, the LOCAL GOVERNMENT (PARKING) REGULATIONS 1991 is noted as being "Impliedly revoked", as they 'became obsolete on the repeal of Pt XXIIA of the Local Government Act 1934 on 1.12.1999'.

    So, my questions are:
    1. Is there a current version of these regulations?
    2. Is there a law prohibiting parking in the end of a cul-de-sac?

  2. sammy01

    sammy01 Well-Known Member

    27 September 2015
    Likes Received:
    ok so really the problem is the parallel. See a cul-de-sac is kinda like a circle right... So how do you parallel park on a circle?
  3. Scruff

    Scruff Well-Known Member

    25 July 2018
    Likes Received:
    This is local Council jurisdiction, so try reporting it to them instead of the Police.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page