overseas liscence

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Shandi

4 March 2024
Hey guys, so im in a weird spot. I went through my Ls to get a nsw provisional rider liscence. I have an overseas liscence that i have been using to drive a car lately. However i found out that i cant be driving with my overseas liscence since i have my nsw rider liscence. I will convert it but i wanna convert it in 6 months so that i get an unrestricted liscence. If a cop pulls me over and runs my overseas liscence will they be able to find out i have a nsw riders liscence, considering they have no record of my overseas liscence (no rego to my name, fines, demerit points)

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
If a cop pulls me over and runs my overseas licence will they be able to find out i have a nsw riders liscence, considering they have no record of my overseas liscence (no rego to my name, fines, demerit points)
I'm assuming that you are in NSW here...
Yes. The checks start with your name and date of birth.
A roadside check will show up everything driving related that has been issued to you in Australia.
Your IDP may not show up.
This is because if it was issued overseas,
then it may not have been data-shared with Australia.
So it's a good idea to carry it on you - in hard copy - whenever you drive.
Although it is not required by law, it's also a good idea to carry your passport as a Proof Of Identity.

"Bike Ls" do not count for anything when driving a car.
Know this also - you don't get to "double dip" between local licensing and an IDP.
If you're going to be here for a while,
then I recommend that you get a local Drivers Licence as soon as possible.
Otherwise, you could be looking at the offence of Drive While Unlicensed.

Further, if you are in NSW, when driving a car on L plates, the person supervising you must have a full Australian Licence.
An IDP for them won't cut it.

Make your life simpler and more certain - get local licences for bike and car.
If in NSW, have a read of this.

Last edited:

Shandi

4 March 2024
So they will always do a name and dob check when i hand in my overseas liscence?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
You'll have a better time if you ask the question you really want the answer to.

Shandi

4 March 2024
I checked with the rms, they told me that i wont be able to drive with my overseas liscence since i got a riders nsw liscence. So i was just wondering if i ever get pulled over, will the cops find out about ny nsw liscence

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
So they will always do a name and dob check when i hand in my overseas liscence?
Bank on it.
I checked with the rms, they told me that i wont be able to drive with my overseas liscence since i got a riders nsw liscence. So i was just wondering if i ever get pulled over, will the cops find out about ny nsw liscence
Yes.
They have a whole bunch of tech in the police car
that will tell them pretty much everything about you
that they might want to know.

Last edited:

Shandi

4 March 2024
Just got pulled over today, they don't check anything. Just my international liscence and asked me if i had plans to comvert
Bank on it.

Yes.
They have a whole bunch of tech in the police car
that will tell them pretty much everything about you
that they might want to know.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Just got pulled over today, they don't check anything. Just my international liscence and asked me if i had plans to comvert
You have had the good luck to meet a lazy policeman.
All that makes you is lucky.