VIC Disclosure of license status

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

zooter

6 August 2017
Hi,

I'm an overseas person with a PR who's moved to VIC. I've had my overseas license for more than 5 years and got Coles insurance on the basis of that. However, due to technical redtape at VicRoads, i'm unable to convert my overseas license to a full license within the stipulated 6 month period (it is stuck at verification for 2 months now). So, to continue driving legally, I need to get a L-plate temporarily. if my license gets verified then I can cancel my L plate and go in for a full license directly.

My insurance policy reads:

We do not cover drivers who, in the last three years, have:
• been refused car insurance or have had it withdrawn,
• had insurance cancelled or any renewal of insurance
declined or refused, or
• had their driving licence cancelled, suspended, disqualified,
downgraded, lapsed or any special conditions imposed,
unless we were made aware of these circumstances and
agreed in writing to insure the driver.

So, my question is, is getting a L-plate temporarily considered a downgrade or a lapse or my overseas license? The license itself hasn't lapsed, it's just that VicRoads don't allow driving on that anymore. I'm worried that if I contact my insurer they may deny coverage and cancel insurance that will go into my record as a cancellation of insurance

As an aside, is there a way that a lawyer could help me get my overseas license verification process as it looks like VicRoads will take another 2 months or so to verify my license and that is causing these kind of issues in addition to making me ineligible to drive simply due to their ineffeciency

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I'm guessing the insurer will likely consider this a 'downgrade'.

With insurance, it's always better to give too much information that not enough. I would disclose your situation to your insurer and let them make the decision. If you don't and there's a claim, they'll probably find out anyway and refuse to cover you on the basis that you didn't disclose.