NSW Traffic Law - 2 Speeding Fines in 1 month - Consequences?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jaysmith

25 March 2016
Hi guys,

I'm currently on a P2 License (green Ps). I currently have 5 demerit points accumulated.

8th of March, 2016:

Due to my stupidity and lack of awareness, I was caught by a speed camera in School Zone and will be losing 2 demerit points for that.

25th of March, 2016:

However, last night, when I was on the way to pick my daughter up from work, I was issued with an on the spot fine by a police officer for speeding, which he said it will be a 6 demerit point offense as it is currently a Public Holiday.

I have not paid the speeding fines yet, but once I pay, I will be suspended for sure.

I've read online that it will be a 3 month suspension for P2 drivers, but since I've just earned 8 demerit points in the span of 2 weeks, will this still be a 3 month suspension under Traffic Law? Or will it be longer due to the nature of my offenses?

Thanks for your time, guys. Really appreciate any help or information on what I can do.

By the way, I'm also eligible for a unrestricted/full license on the 18th of June. Is it possible to seek extension/leniency until the date of my upgrade to Full license and then take those points; amassing a total of 12 demerit points, just 1 point below the thresh hold of unrestricted license, which will allow me to drive for the time been?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Check with the NSW Roads and Maritime Services as to when points are placed against you.

It may be possible to elect to go to court, defer if case is to be heard before 18th June, then have the case heard by which time you'll probably have a full licence.

Ponala

10 February 2015
You should get an option to take a 'good behaviour bond' - no demerit points for 12 month period.

Trying to extend the date of paying the fine or similar won't put the points on your full licence, it goes by date of offence, not by date administratively added to your licence. So it would date back to your probationary licence and the applicable points/suspension would apply against that and the suspension period is what you would have had then, regardless that now on a full licence.

Piers Blomfield

3 April 2016
Griffith
www.blomfieldlegal.com.au
Another option would be to complete the Traffic Offenders Program, obtain two references and take it to Court on a plea of guilty asking for a section 10. That would allow you to keep your points if successful.