Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Other Party Changed Car Insurance Company - Pay Costs?

Discussion in 'Insurance Law Forum' started by Campbell, 3 October 2016.

  1. Campbell

    Campbell Member

    3 October 2016
    Likes Received:
    Hi there,

    Recently, I very slowly backed into a parked car on my street. There was no visible damage at all as I was going very slow. We exchanged details, including his car insurance details.

    A few months later, I got a letter from a different insurance company with the costs of $1000. I don't want to pay anything. There is no evidence of any damage plus he switched insurance companies after the incident.

    What can I do?

  2. Victoria S

    Victoria S Well-Known Member

    9 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    I would ask for proof of damage that they are alleging is costing $1000 to repair. But why are you disputing it on the basis that he changed insurers? That has no bearing whatsoever on your liability for the incident. That is a contract between him and his insurer and providing his new insurer has agreed to cover him, then he is at liberty to change insurers whenever he wants. Liability for the incident is between you and and him. The insurer is merely representing him.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Complex16

    Complex16 Well-Known Member

    27 July 2016
    Likes Received:

    So you've received a demand from a different insurer. Firstly, don't pay just yet. The insurer he had previously should have been the insurer on risk at the time of the accident and that's who should have sent you a letter of demand.

    A new insurer would not as a matter of course take over conduct of a claim that sits with a different insurer such as in this situation. So... ask for proof of loss (the assessed repair quote).

Share This Page