VIC Opening Another Person's Mail with Permission

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

bradolson83

25 February 2015
I have a friend who used to live with me and is now living overseas. He has asked me to open his mail and scan in the mail and email it to him. I would like to know if this is legal or if i should get written permission off him first? I just want to make sure that it is legal (and no privacy legal issues) that with his permission I can open mail that is sent to my address by Australia Post but is addressed to him.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If you have already been doing it and the friend has acknowledged your help, you have no problems.

If you are just starting out, just send an email saying 'you sure you want me to open your mail and send it to you? and you'll use your best endeavours and there may be delays from time to time if you are away'

bradolson83

25 February 2015
So as long as i have written permission then i am fine legally?

I have it in an email him asking me to do that. But i recently became aware of the law on postage and nowhere does it mention about granting permission to open letters.

TIA

ClareB

4 February 2015
Yes, to confirm the above answer from Rod, it is legal to open someone else's mail with written permission. Ensure that you keep copies of the email and if circumstances change, ensure that any alteration in the agreement is also made in writing.

Reactions: Tim W