VIC Email Address Details Disclosed to Ex - Breach of Privacy?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DinkyDi

16 January 2016
Hi,

I have just received some paperwork (long story), but the crux of the matter is that in that the paperwork it details that an email address belong to (my surname) was supposedly used to post an article on a website. The problem here is that another person has contacted the particular website asking for the email address details used & the website has disclosed the email address to that another individual without permission or a court order to do so.

Since when is someone able to contact a website & ask for someone else's personal details (email address) & it be provided to them? Surely this is a breach of privacy? If so, can anyone please point me in the direction of where i might find details on such a privacy act. The website in question states in their privacy policy: 'we will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your explicit permission or are required by law to do so'.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You can have a look at the privacy information on the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner's website (www.oaic.gov.au). The Privacy Act doesn't apply to everyone, however.

As for their terms and conditions, it may depend on what they consider 'personal information'. Even if they have breached it, there may not be anything you can do - even less if they are domiciled outside Australia.