WA Online tournament skill games

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sassoo

6 April 2017
I found out it is legal to offer tournament games that you pay into, as long as the games are skill.

Can anyone see any legal roadblocks for setting up a website that offers skill game tournaments where the winnings are the entry fee of the tournament?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Sasso,
The Gaming and Wagering Commission Act 1987 does differentiate between games of chance and games of skill. You would need to be very careful to not blur the lines between social gambling and setting yourself up as a gaming house. Section 64 of the mentioned Act details the rule associated with social gambling GAMING AND WAGERING COMMISSION ACT 1987 - SECT 64

D

Deleted member 33839

It actually seems to be not really logical and reasonable. Why entrance fee is considered illegal? That's an actual mystery for me. Moreover, there are plenty sources, online stores trading with skills, boosting items for various games, are they illegal as well? It's nonsense. Btw, speaking of boosting items and games I've remembered rocket league trading, really great servicing, if you're keen on rocket league. The prices are pretty affordable and delivery is fast. Love it!