Is this legal or classified as gambling online? I don't think so but need to be sure.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

casegonewild

18 December 2023
HI,
I am looking at launching a website which is a CSGO themed case opening / battle website. It runs on crypto and CSGO/CSGO2 game skins to determine items in the case value.
the Battle involves 2 - 4 players opening the cases and the user who opens up the highest value items in total for each game (battle) wins. The items unboxed can then be sold back to the site to keep joining or creating battles or the items can be withdrawn to play in game with them or sold back to the website and withdraw balance in Crypto.

User can deposit using crypto or CSGO2 game skins in exchange for onsite battle balance. I would like to know if it is classified as gambling as I would not pursue it.

Thank you

Quantlate

7 March 2024
From my understanding, the classification of such activities can vary depending on the jurisdiction and specific regulations in place.

OebDowns

22 March 2024
In your case, there's certainly an element of chance involved in opening those cases and getting items of varying value. However, what could potentially distinguish your site from traditional gambling is the skill aspect. With the battles and the strategy involved in opening the cases, it could be argued that there's more skill involved than pure chance. But again, it's a fine line. As for the crypto and CSGO skins aspect, that adds another layer of complexity.