QLD Commercial Law on Worldwide Competitions and Licences?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Georgiana

26 November 2015
I'm wondering what permits/licences would be required for a game of skill competition available for entries worldwide. There would be an entry fee, which will be used to fund the competition.

The prize pool would work on a sliding scale, dependent upon how many entries are received. For example, the initial prize might be $500 cash, but upon reaching 50 entries it might go up to $1,000. This would continue to go up with the entries, with extras such as physical items being added, to the point of including a holiday to the winner.

Depending upon how many entries are received, the prize pool could potentially reach a value of over $5,000.

My question is: what do I need to get in order to ensure this is legal and do I need to be aware of any legalities under Commercial Law?

Since $5,000 is a bracket used in raffles and trade promotions, I would appreciate if suggestions could be given on situations for both under and over $5,000.

Thanks in advance.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Persuade me that this is not just a pyearamid scheme?

Georgiana

26 November 2015
Well, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, Tim, but I suppose the way I've worded it might suggest such a thing. Please understand I have no love for such schemes and would never participate in, let alone develop and endorse, one.

Perhaps some elaboration is required...

I run a small lodge, where I am hoping to offer artists' residencies (the holiday). The competition will be used to fund the residencies.

Without the risk of funding a potentially costly exercise by offering the full residency right off, I thought I could garner interest with smaller prizes to begin and then, once I had enough entries, I could add the residency to the mix. To clarify, the physical items would be art supplies -- pencils, paints, etc. -- and the scalability of the competition would be visible to all entrants.

I suppose this begs the question of why scalable competitions don't seem to exist...

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You are more in the realm of Gaming Law, and less in the realm of commercial law.

I am not familiar enough with that aspect of law, as it operates in Queensland, to give you any useful advice.

Perhaps @James D. Ford - Solicitor or one of the other Queensland lawyers can shed some light.

Georgiana

26 November 2015
Thanks, Tim, for your input.

I can, of course, contact the Queensland gaming department, but I was hoping to get an understanding of what might be required before doing so.