Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Commercial Law on Worldwide Competitions and Licences?

Discussion in 'Commercial Law Forum' started by Georgiana, 26 November 2015.

1. Georgiana

Georgiana Member

I'm wondering what permits/licences would be required for a game of skill competition available for entries worldwide. There would be an entry fee, which will be used to fund the competition.

The prize pool would work on a sliding scale, dependent upon how many entries are received. For example, the initial prize might be $500 cash, but upon reaching 50 entries it might go up to $1,000. This would continue to go up with the entries, with extras such as physical items being added, to the point of including a holiday to the winner.

Depending upon how many entries are received, the prize pool could potentially reach a value of over $5,000.

My question is: what do I need to get in order to ensure this is legal and do I need to be aware of any legalities under Commercial Law?

Since $5,000 is a bracket used in raffles and trade promotions, I would appreciate if suggestions could be given on situations for both under and over $5,000.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Persuade me that this is not just a pyearamid scheme?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Georgiana

Georgiana Member

Well, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, Tim, but I suppose the way I've worded it might suggest such a thing. Please understand I have no love for such schemes and would never participate in, let alone develop and endorse, one.

Perhaps some elaboration is required...

I run a small lodge, where I am hoping to offer artists' residencies (the holiday). The competition will be used to fund the residencies.

Without the risk of funding a potentially costly exercise by offering the full residency right off, I thought I could garner interest with smaller prizes to begin and then, once I had enough entries, I could add the residency to the mix. To clarify, the physical items would be art supplies -- pencils, paints, etc. -- and the scalability of the competition would be visible to all entrants.

I suppose this begs the question of why scalable competitions don't seem to exist...

4. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

You are more in the realm of Gaming Law, and less in the realm of commercial law.

I am not familiar enough with that aspect of law, as it operates in Queensland, to give you any useful advice.

Perhaps @James D. Ford - Solicitor or one of the other Queensland lawyers can shed some light.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Georgiana

Georgiana Member

Thanks, Tim, for your input.

I can, of course, contact the Queensland gaming department, but I was hoping to get an understanding of what might be required before doing so.