NSW Online gaming loot refund

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JasonC

29 October 2020
There is a mobile and PC game called Gears POP! that was announced today it would be closing its severs and thus removing any access to its game in April 2021. The game is made by a Microsoft company, so not a small developer.

They have upfront offered refunds on all transactions back to July 31st 2020. Is there not a legal warranty time trame of at least 1 year for digital purchases?

Is there any legal ground to expect purchases of digital goods to have a mimimum of 1 year of use like a solid goods warranty?

I'd like to get money back (spent over $1200) on the game where playing free is a 7 year grind to complete, yet they decide to stop access to the game after only 1.5 years of it being up. I'm not fussed by lost access of money paid prior to April 2020 as that's reasonable for being useful for a 1 year period.

Also, yes, I'm stupid for paying money on a game of such amounts. But it is what it is and it helped me through some depression.

Edit: I should note that the money wasn't a subscription. It was purchases of currency to use within the game to buy characters and the like.