VIC Online Divorce application serving overseas

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dexter07

5 September 2020
Background :
Married for less than 2 years.
No Children
No shared assets
I have been separated 1 year 1 month : 11 months in separate countries and initial 2 months under same roof. There is no connection for past 11 months. What i understand is I file sole application online

Documents needed
Marriage cert ( overseas in English)
Affidavit to not attend counselling ( as we both are in separate countries )
Under same roof if i want to include the 2 months under same roof

Question: I have the last known address for my partner where i am thinking to get the divorce documents served to my partner through a server ( overseas) not sure it will be accepted or not.
  • Date I file the divorce online from that day do I have 42 days to server the documents can be served at the earliest or is it necessary to have 42 days before the hearing date. As I understand when I file it would take some time for the server to serve it?
  • As I file the divorce online how will I get to know if the OP has accepted or will raise objection, does court informs before the date if they receive any update from OP ?
  • Are there international server in australia or better to find one in the country : document needed from server " Acknowledgement of service , affidavit of service by hand ( confirming the OP did not accept and attempt was made) , is affidavit from other country accepted in Australian family court?
  • How long is the hearing date wait in Victoria?

Thanks in anticipation

meganth38

1 August 2021
I think that the company to which you are filing for divorce should help you here. After all, a long time ago, I moved to the States and found a husband there, but our destinies did not come together and I had to file for divorce, and in America there are also many online platforms that help with similar issues you have, but besides I still it was necessary to go through a lot of additional information, and many articles on the example of this How to Win a Divorce Case: 6 Tactics for Lawyers | Lawrina to complete the trick with the ends. Therefore, it seems to me that in Australia this process is a little easier. And, I think that online platform for divorce have to solve your problem

Reactions: Dexter07

Dexter07

5 September 2020
Can anyone please share knowledge or their experience
Question: I have the last known address for my partner where i am thinking to get the divorce documents served to my partner through a server ( overseas) not sure it will be accepted or not.
  • Date I file the divorce online from that day do I have 42 days to server the documents can be served at the earliest or is it necessary to have 42 days before the hearing date. As I understand when I file it would take some time for the server to serve it?
  • As I file the divorce online how will I get to know if the OP has accepted or will raise objection, does court informs before the date if they receive any update from OP ?
TIA