VIC Serving divorce documents

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy_lost

1 November 2016
Hi All,

Couple of months ago I filed divorce application because my partner who was going to file first changed her mind last moment! I sent the application to her by post to her office address as I dont know where she stays now. She does not want to acknowledge that but has replied to an email where I sent confirmation(divorce application payment receipt). She wont answer my call or reply to emails now. I have a feeling that she changed her work too but not sure.

Called and checked with professional process servers company, they advised that we will send server to last known address confirmed by her. server will either handover that very moment and get acknowledgement or try calling her/texting her to reach her. All these attempts will be in an affidavit that I can submit to court. Is this enough to allow dispension of service?

What all should I do so court is satisfied that I have take all reasonable steps to serve documents to her.

sammy01

27 September 2015
You have made a genuine attempt to contact her.... I would submit copies of correspondence as evidence in your application for a sole application for divorce

sammy_lost

1 November 2016
Thanks Sammy.

I am going to provide the following documents as evidence along with affidavit showing genuine effort to contact

1. Copies of correspondence in regards to the application filing
2. Postal receipts, sending documents to her work address with receipts.
3. Attempt made by process server along with his affidavit.
4. Email reminders with tracking and text messages, asking her for confirmation.
5. Finally communication with her relatives here
Anything else I should include?

Do I need to apply for dispension of service through a different channel or should I just upload all relevant documents with the application. To avoid date adjournment, do I need to be at hearing?

Blessing

20 April 2017
Sydney NSW
Since its a sole application, you do need to be at the hearing.