NSW Old Unpaid Invoices

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Julez

30 May 2021
Hi,
Can a client refuse to pay invoices that were almost 6 year old because they no longer keep relevant records after 5 year old?

It was partly my fault I didn't check my pays until recently.

Both the client and I are Sole Trader businesses. She claimed that she checked her general ledger there is nothing owed to me and therefore wouldn't spend time to further investigate my request when I sent her a full list of what have/haven't been paid.

Also with the 6 years debt collection time limit would it count from an invoice date, service date or payment due date?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Last edited:

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No, debt can be enforced. Date of demand for payment ie date of invoice, but can be later if she has admitted owing the money after the date of the invoice.

Julez

30 May 2021
Thanks very much Rod. Can we also consolidate all invoices and take the latest payment date as the date that payments were owed?

e.g. if the invoices were issued in between June 2015 to June 2018 and the latest payment was received in June 2018, could June 2018 be the date of payment owing date for these invoices and therefore starts the 6 year debt enforcement period from June 2018?

The client sometimes entered a payment reference description in my bank statement but sometimes didn't.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No you cannot consolidate invoices without the client's permission.

Depending on past practices, if a payment is received without reference to an invoice, then you can apply it to the oldest invoice. This keeps the 'window' open longer.

An invoice is a legal document.

Reactions: Julez

Julez

30 May 2021
No you cannot consolidate invoices without the client's permission.

Depending on past practices, if a payment is received without reference to an invoice, then you can apply it to the oldest invoice. This keeps the 'window' open longer.

An invoice is a legal document.
Thanks so much really appreciate your help!