Notable Criminal Law Cases?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Toqual

10 July 2014
Hi all,

I am enquiring if anyone can list some interesting and renown caselaw judgements that would be worth a read.

Cheers

S

Sophea

I don't know if its your thing, but Sidhu v Van Dyke [2014] HCA 19 has a great 'soapy' plot! Its like the old school cases we had to read in Equity. (And it has a good consideration of law of Estoppel)

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Have a read of R v Gordon Wood, and the subsequent appeal.
And then the sentencing proceedings in R v Simon Gittany.
I don't know if they are notable, but they are certainly notorious.

Toqual

10 July 2014
Interesting!

qarmatian

18 June 2017
The 55 year sentence of gang rapist Bilal Skaf by Finnane J is interesting reading. In it he describes the gang as wild animals and a menace to society. It's written in simple language for anyone to understand. It was a notorious crime, has a harrowing summary of what his gang did to several girls, and resulted in changes to criminal law practices in several ways.

A normal person would find the sentence just. It was reduced on appeal, which sickened many people to hear. But when you read the reasons for the reduction you may or may not change your mind, and think of other reforms to the law (eg. Increased maximum sentences in legislation).

The original sentence is here: Four Corners - 16/09/2002: Sentencing of Bilal Skaf