Non-resident Starting Small Business?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dtferenc

29 June 2015
Canada
I am a Canadian citizen looking to start a small business/start-up in Australia; specifically Western Australia. What kind of Visa's and licenses would I have to apply and be approved for before I can start doing business. The business would not be real estate related.

Thank you for your help

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @dtferenc,
To better understand your question:
  1. What visa are you on? (e.g. tourist visa)
  2. Are you starting this business with anyone else? (e.g. an Australian resident or citizen)
  3. What business structure are you considering? (e.g. sole trader, company, etc.)
  4. What industry is the business in? This may dictate industry specific requirements that require a local resident or citizen to at least be a director of the proposed business' company, etc.

dtferenc

29 June 2015
Canada
Hi @John R

1. I am currently not residing in Australia and have not applied for a Visa yet.
  2. I would be starting a business with 2 other Canadian citizens who currently do not have Australian visa's.
  3. The business structure would be a company or if it was not feasible a partnership.
  4. The industry would be selling equipment to large commercial businesses.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers.