Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kenny

6 February 2018
Hi all,

I had been working at a company in Adelaide, SA for under a year in 2015. It was small "company" that only had the employer, myself, and a few helping hand. I was originally working there as part of my visa scheme as well, as they said they would sponsor me for a work visa (I was on a Working Holiday at at that time)
I was working part-time for the first couple of month (Although I was on a full-time contract...) and full time for the latter half, meaning I had to cut down on my other actual part-time job I had been doing at that time.
For the 10 months I ha worked there, I had not been paid a single dollar, but I couldn't really say anything, as my visa was at stake at that time. After the 10 months, I had no visa to stay in Australia anymore as I had no record of payment from that company. I had been in talk with my employer with my visa agent, and I have also asked the Fair Work Ombudsmen to intervene, in which he replied that he would pay at the start of this year. From there on, I cannot reach him in anyway. I would ask for a legal advise from a lawer directly if I could, but the catch here is that I am already residing in Japan.
Is there anyway for me to make legal actions against my ex-employer? I have records of my contract, work and correspondence.

Thanks for the help!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is there anyway for me to make legal actions against my ex-employer?

Yes. Hire an Adelaide lawyer and they can start proceedings. Keep in mind if the employer has no money it will be a waste of your money chasing something that doesn't exist.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Unless resourcing has recently changed at the FWO they'll unlikely help in recovering money. They'll likely help identify the exact amount to be recovered, but tend to save their 'prosecution $' for cases involving public interest or multiple employees.