QLD Minimum wage (no contract)

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
D

Deleted member 23701

Hi there,

I'm a french citizen and I have a working holiday visa which allows me to work unlimited hours in Australia.
I found a job in Gold Coast in a restaurant but I'm only paid 16/hr. I don't have any contract and my working schedule changes every week. I usually do between 10 and 20 hrs a week.
Is this legal ? Is there a minimum wage in my case ?

Thank you!

Regards
Camille

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You’ll likely come under an award which will set out the minimum rates of pay for casuals (which you appear to be). The hospitality industry has a bit of a reputation for underpaying staff.

If you go to www.fairwork.gov.au and look at ‘Awards and Agreements’, you should be able to find the right award for your job role.

D

Deleted member 23701

Thanks a lot for your answer!
I had a look on fairwork.gov and it looks like they can take measures only if I allow them to disclose the request to my employer.
It means that he will get my name and I will most likely get fire.
Is there any option to ask for help without revealing my name?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Unfortunately, that's the way it has to go. If you're being underpaid and want that to be fixed, your employer is going to have to know who you are at some stage.

Be aware, though, that terminating your employment because you made a complaint about a breach of workplace laws is likely to constitute unlawful termination - which you can take action for. Of course, keeping your job (albeit underpaid) may be of more importance to you.

Another option is to make an anonymous report via fairwork.gov.au and hope that they take action.