SA No Closing Date Stated - Lodge Complaint with Ombudsman?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dlady50

3 February 2017
In Octobers 2016, I applied for a loss of power grant through the Department of Social Inclusion. When I filled out the application form, no closing date was stated. I submitted the form online on 17 October and received an return auto email that the applications had closed and that I would be contacted shortly.

After many phone calls on 31 January 2017, I finally received an undated letter stating that my application had not been approved as it had been received after the closing date. I emailed the writer as no phone contact number was provided stating that I was not aware of a closing date and none had been stated on the forms.

The reply received stated that the closing date had been via print media, Facebook and Twitter and recovery centres. I live 55km from a Recovery Centre on a rural farming property, no roadside delivery of newspapers, and only occasional need to access Facebook.

It would appear that on the 8 October they advised that applications would close on 10 October. Should they have provided a closing date of the grant application forms?

I am thinking of lodging a complaint with the ombudsman but would like to know if it stating a closing date for application is sufficient grounds on which to lodge a complaint.