Driving without a licence (not notified)

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gumboots

13 January 2021
I was cited for driving 105km/h in a 70km/h zone. I took the case to court (to try and get the penalty downgraded). I had a court date in October to which I pleaded guilty. Between being cited and the court date my licence was valid and I was able to drive.
2 days after my court hearing (which I didn't attended, covid and all) I was pulled over and told that I was "driving without a licence." I was told that I should have rung the court to find out the result of my case (something I was unaware as Ive never been in trouble before.). 2 days after being told this I received the result of my hearing in the mail stating that my licence had been suspended.

I now have a court summons for a hearing for driving with a suspended licence.

Can I plead not guilty as a genuinely didn't know my licence was suspended?
What's the penalty if I plead guilty?
Will I receive a criminal record? (My biggest fear as every job application now requires a criminal history check)

Cheers

sammy01

27 September 2015
Plead guilty...
criminal record? NOPE.
105 in a 70 zone?? You tried to get that downgraded? stop being stupid... what possible reason is there to justify that? Begging? FFS. welcome to grown up land.