NSW Neighbour Harassment - Kids Can't Play Outside

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Monica

29 July 2014
Hi. Just wondering, what rights do I have under property law, if my neighbour, on several occasions, has rang my real estate agent, and complained about my kids outside playing? It's to the point where I will not let the kids go outside, and it's not fair to the kids not being able to go outside. Several of the complaints have been made when the kids are not home. Is this harassment?

Thanks

S

Sophea

Hi Monica,

Are you and your neighbour tenants in the same property? Is your concern that you will be kicked out if your children continue to annoy the neighbour? Are you under any body corporate by laws regarding noise levels?

In the absence of further information I would suggest speaking with your neighbour personally in a friendly but upfront matter, indicating that its not an option for your children to be inside all the time, but that you are willing to negotiate times that are and are not appropriate for them to be making noise outside. Being firm but kind and keeping the lines of communication open usually does the trick.

Monica

29 July 2014
Hi Sophia
No we live I two different houses I have tried talking to them I have talked to the agent but nothing and it's not fair to my kids to be locked inside