Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Name Change Only on Australian Documents - Legal under Australian Law?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by Scmay, 8 September 2015.

  1. Scmay

    Scmay Member

    8 September 2015
    Likes Received:
    Just wondering if this is legally right under Australian Law. A friend got married and changed her name, but on her overseas passport it is still showing her maiden name. She says she only had a name change on all Australian documents. When she needs to travel she will book with maiden name as that is what is shown on her overseas passport. Seems odd to me, having 2 identities at the same time?
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    Hi Scmay,

    No this is perfectly fine. After you get married in Australia you have the choice of going by your maiden name, your spouse's name or a combination of both. If you want identification to prove who you are, you must make sure that most of your identification forms in Australia are consistent otherwise confusion can arise. However, when you are travelling, generally the only identification required is your passport. Issues may only arise for example if you need to use your Australian driver's licence for something and your name is different. However these issues can usually be overcome if you carry a certified copy of your marriage certificate.
    Tim W likes this.

Share This Page