SA My financial rights during a seperation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy01

27 September 2015
"Does it not all go into the same family assets pot for splitting if you have been together for 1? Year."
Nope I didn't read it wrong... You definitely wrote it wrong... The grammar is appalling and leads to you being mis-understood. But I reckon I knew what you were getting at. That if you're together for a period of time then it all goes into the asset pot. The answer is NO. That is not true. NO... NOT TRUE. So I answered your question - corrected your mistake and provided a source to show that I'm not making this stuff up... I made a statement of fact.

Now as for you calling me a narcissist... With respect - You dont have the right to diagnose me, nor the qualifications. Frankly trained psychologists will tell you it is a hard one to diagnose... But there is one rough yardstick method to give reason to suspect.... Let me tell you what that rough yardstick method is... All you have to do is say NO to them, like I did you... And wow - didn't that give you a stir. The One Word a Narcissist Doesn’t Want to Hear
One word a narcissist doesn't want to hear. NO...

In fact there is no designated 'time period'. So India Rose - the duration of the relationship matters. How to protect your assets? Well like I said, get court orders sorted. That is the only fail safe. If the ex racks up debts post separation that will be work against them... Drink drive / car accident. Like I said, the insurance company will come after anything that is in their name and YES that could cause you grief. All the reason to get stuff sorted quickly.

WiserNow

10 September 2014
"Does it not all go into the same family assets pot for splitting if you have been together for 1? Year."
Nope I didn't read it wrong... You definitely wrote it wrong... The grammar is appalling and leads to you being mis-understood. But I reckon I knew what you were getting at. That if you're together for a period of time then it all goes into the asset pot. The answer is NO. That is not true. NO... NOT TRUE. So I answered your question - corrected your mistake and provided a source to show that I'm not making this stuff up... I made a statement of fact.

Now as for you calling me a narcissist... With respect - You dont have the right to diagnose me, nor the qualifications. Frankly trained psychologists will tell you it is a hard one to diagnose... But there is one rough yardstick method to give reason to suspect.... Let me tell you what that rough yardstick method is... All you have to do is say NO to them, like I did you... And wow - didn't that give you a stir. The One Word a Narcissist Doesn’t Want to Hear

In fact there is no designated 'time period'. So India Rose - the duration of the relationship matters. How to protect your assets? Well like I said, get court orders sorted. That is the only fail safe. If the ex racks up debts post separation that will be work against them... Drink drive / car accident. Like I said, the insurance company will come after anything that is in their name and YES that could cause you grief. All the

In fact there is no designated 'time period'. So India Rose - the duration of the relationship matters. How to protect your assets? Well like I said, get court orders sorted. That is the only fail safe. If the ex racks up debts post separation that will be work against them... Drink drive / car accident. Like I said, the insurance company will come after anything that is in their name and YES that could cause you grief. All the reason to get stuff sorted quickly.
Oh dear, dear, dear sammy01. You really are worked up plus showing more of that narcissistic behaviour of your's... help is available.. phone: 13 18 11.. dont let it go untreated. The first step is realising you need help.. You can do it!!

Last edited:

sammy01

27 September 2015
With respect - you don't have the right to diagnose people, nor do you have the right to come here and provide false information. We all have a responsibility to fact check... When we don't, rather than helping the OP, you cause confusion. You asked a question about there being a time frame. Here is that question
The answer to that question is NO.... I fail to see that me stating NO is a problem, nor a reason for you to feel entitled to diagnose me. Please explain, or apologise.

WiserNow

10 September 2014
Actually sammy01 here is the question I posted:-

"What is the difference in how it is held joint or sole names? Does it not all go into the same family assets pot for splitting if you have been together for 1? Year."

If you want to quote a posting it really is best if you quote in its full context, rather than selecting a small section of the posting.

I do not intend to reply any further to this posting. I have a life to live!!

Last edited:

WiserNow

10 September 2014
To assist anyone reading this posting regarding the asset pool here is a link to legal aid's information:

Does it matter whose name the asset is in or who is responsible for liabilities?

It does not matter if assets are legally in only one person’s name or in both your names – it needs to be included in the asset pool.

It also does not matter which spouse actually bought the property, used it, or in the case of liabilities who is responsible for the liabilities. This may be taken into account later when working out how the asset pool will be divided.

sammy01

27 September 2015
"What is the difference in how it is held joint or sole names?" In a strict legal sense, there is no difference.
BUT in the practical real world there is a huge difference that can make a family law case really complex. Shares for example. If they are in my name I can sell them and blow the money - But if it is a house - in joint names then both parties need to sign for them to be sold. This can contribute towards wastage - where one party sells assets turning it into cash that is way easier to hide. But there is this thing called add backs - where that wastage can be taken out of the asset pie when asset division happens.

"Does it not all go into the same family assets pot for splitting if you have been together for 1? Year." Yup already answered that one. Look the only reason I quoted that bit is because that was the bit that was wrong... Seems to me you wanna knit pick me for only using the part of the quote that i was addressing. The The answer to that part was NO it is still NO... So respectfully if you wanna knit pick me for only quoting the bit that I answered then I'm going to go more than just a knit pick you your attack on me...
Still reckon I'm owed an apology - Not nice diaganosing people with mental health conditions. It diminishes the real trauma those with mental health conditions suffer and is in-appropriate when the person does it isn't qualified. It is rude.

WiserNow

10 September 2014
sammy01 : It is obvious from your postings you are upset. And that is not a nice place for anyone to be.

However before you start playing the victim card and seeking an apology you need to have an open mind, go back to the beginning of the postings (where it all commenced) and reflect, with an open mind, on the wording being used in your postings.

It would also pay to stop putting the word 'no' in capitals. This is classified as shouting.

sammy01

27 September 2015
"I do not intend to reply any further to this posting. I have a life to live!!"
I'm not mis-quoting you here am I... So please please please - don't reply unless it is to apologise. You have no right trying to diagnose me. AND yep Capitals are sometimes used to emphasise the point. Given some of your poor grammar, let's not go near that one... Again, I've done my best to address questions asked and my information is correct.
Respectfully, the same doesn't apply with you - Or to put it another way, you contribution has been to deride me and provide stuff all assistance to our OP...

Oh and no victim here. Hell no. Like I said you provided incorrect information and I corrected you and I will continue to correct posts that provide information to punters that is wrong and I will do it without personal attacks on individuals and or their mental health - It is called integrity - Learn that lesson and you really will be wiser now.