ACT Financial settlements

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sally234

3 September 2020
My ex husband is behaving badly. I would like to sort out a financial settlement sooner rather than later. He is trying to delay things and is not cooperating with requests to disclose his financial information. I think my lawyer now has most of what she needs to do up some options, however my concern is that whilst he is delaying things he is also paying costs that he will want taken into account in the financial settlement e.g both cars are in his name and the car I am driving is leased back through his work which means he is paying for the insurance and running costs. I asked to swap cars so that I could pay for running costs and insurance on the car he is driving that is owned outright, however he refused and instead has paid the registration and changed the insurance to a more expensive insurance and said he wants this taken out of the financial settlement. There are are a few more things like this he has done.
My question is what happens when one person refuses to disclose their financial information, and does not cooperate with a financial settlement? Do financial things get back dated to a separation date? does any money I save up since separating get taken into account in a financial settlement as he spends everything he earns and is unlikely to accumulate any savings since separating. Do things like car running costs get factored into financial settlements when I have offered to start paying the insurance on a car but he will not swap the cars around and the policy he has taken out is substantially more expensive that the previous policy that I was happy to pay for.

Atticus

6 February 2019
My question is what happens when one person refuses to disclose their financial information, and does not cooperate with a financial settlement?
Ultimately, an initiating application to compel compliance.
Do financial things get back dated to a separation date? does any money I save up since separating get taken into account in a financial settlement
Assets (and financial circumstances) are valued as near as possible to date of settlement not separation.... Any money earned from your own labour post separation ought not be included in asset pool for division (but must still be declared if they still exist, ie, not spent)
Do things like car running costs get factored into financial settlements
Not generally

sally234

3 September 2020
Ok great thank you, I can get some sleep tonight and know that it will somehow work out in the end