Mum of Two Australian Citizens

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


6 May 2014
Hi there,

I am 30 years of age and a single mum of two kids and they both have Australian citizenship. I'd just like to know if there any chance in immigration law that I can apply for a visa to live and work here in Australia to look after my two kids please.


Well-Known Member
24 April 2014
Hi Ginny,

You should head over to this page >
It is full of information about the different family visas you can apply for.

Now obviously I don't know what kind of visa you are currently holding, so i'm not sure if you qualify to apply for it - but I think it is worth looking into. The Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) is described on the Australian Immigration websites as 'a permanent visa for parents with children living in Australia. This visa costs more than the Parent visa but is generally processed faster.'

The Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143)

The Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) lets parents live permanently in Australia if they have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

Most applicants need to be sponsored by their child. Your sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years before the application is lodged.

You can lodge an application for this visa in or outside Australia. If you are in Australia, you can apply only if your temporary visa allows you to apply for another visa while you are in Australia.

Find out more about the visa >

I hope this helps! HarrietJ :)

Tim W

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Are you lawfully in Australia yourself?