NSW Moving in with Girlfriend Soon - How to Protect Assets?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sam Daidone

29 July 2015
Can you give me some advice? I would like to know how to protect my assets under family law. I live in NSW. I have my own home and I have 2 teenage children. My girlfriend will be moving in with us soon. I'd like to know how to protect my assets in case we decide of a separation in the future. I will be the one to continue paying for the house e.g. rates, strata title, bank loan, insurance, etc. She will help pay for the water bill, gas, food etc.


Hi Sam,

You can look at having a binding financial agreement drafted that sets out how your assets will be dealt with if your relationship breaks down.

You'll probably need to speak with a lawyer to do this because in order for a financial agreement to be legally binding, you and your girlfriend must both have obtained independent legal advice before you sign it.

Tim W

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
I concur - You want a BFA.

Take yourself, by yourself, to a lawyer, and have one properly prepared.
Yes, this will cost money. But not as much as you could lose if you don't.
And no, this is not something you can do yourself,
nor something you can do on a form from the newsagent.

While you're there, make a new will.

Yes, this is exactly as distasteful and unromantic as it seems.
But it is a necessary step to protect your assets and your children's future interests.
  • Like
Reactions: Rob Legat - SBPL