NSW Motorvehicle accident - SYDNEY - acacia road - liability?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lancemac

21 May 2022
There is a corner in Sydney where a there are 3 lanes that turn a corner; a single lane turns from the right from the south and two lanes turn left from the north. (Acacia Road)

I was exiting a road (Flora) adjacent from the left (it's about 50m from the corner) and a stopped and let a car passed, did a shoulder check, nothing in the left hand lane and I pulled out.

As this occurred someone came tearing around the corner from the south (right lane), aggressively merged across two lanes of traffic towards the left lane and bounced off the front of my car as I was turning into the left hand lane. My car was about 4/5's in the lane and he hit me at a reasonably steep angle demonstrating he was cutting sharply.

My contention is he was merging recklessly and my lane was clear.

Waiting on the review.

What does the law say?

He has right of way as he was on the ROAD already even if he wasn't in the lane when I pulled out?

Last edited:

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Just a thought... repeating and re-asking the same question over and over is a good way to persuade people not to help you