Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

WA Mother's Will with Public Trustee - Ask for a Copy?

Discussion in 'Wills and Estate Planning Law Forum' started by Melrose, 21 February 2016.

1. Melrose

Melrose Active Member

If mum's will is with the Public Trustee. Can I approach them for a copy as I know I am a beneficiary? The estate would probably only be worth $400,000 divided between my sister and I.

Can I do this was soon as she passes? Is there a timeframe for settling everything? What are the costs involved with the Public Trustee?

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Which state are you in?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Melrose

Melrose Active Member

4. Jacqui Brauman

Jacqui Brauman Well-Known Member

The general rule is that once you have proof of death (particularly a death certificate), and if you are a beneficiary, then yes you should be entitled to a copy of the Will. I'm in Victoria, and that's the case here. In fact anyone who would be a beneficiary if there was no Will (intestate estate) could get a copy of the Will even if they weren't actually in it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...