VIC Minor work order on dwelling without C of O

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by eric kendall, 12 January 2020.

  1. eric kendall

    eric kendall Active Member

    8 September 2015
    Likes Received:
    Hi guys, we've been living on our property now for over 30 years. I built it as an owner builder and everything at the time was complaint with the Victorian Building Regulations. I never got a C of O on the property and a couple of months ago I was contacted by the council and they wanted to come for an inspection. They did this and issued "minor work orders" to bring balustrades on stairs and landings up to current regs.
    I just have 2 questions regarding this.
    1. Do I have to comply with this order or are they just trying to bully be?
    2. Do they have a legal right to enter our house for an inspection after the work is supposedly done?
    Thanks for any feedback.
  2. Rod

    Rod Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

    27 May 2014
    Likes Received:
    1. I don't know if they should use 30 year old regs, or current regs.
    2. Yes, if you are getting a permit, otherwise they need to have a warrant. Cooperation is normally better.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page