VIC Minor Car Accident - Am I at Fault?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by nathen brett, 18 January 2018.

1. nathen brett

nathen brett Member

Hi people.

I was driving on the freeway home yesterday when a car beside me sped up to changed lanes and got in font of me. He changed lanes quite rapidly that I didn't have enough time to put my brakes on and he clipped the front end of my car and damaged the back side of his car.

I just would like to know, am I in the wrong because he is saying that I am due to me not allowing him to get in front. Also this is a straight lane that has no merging.

2. Rod

Rod Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

He has the responsibility to pass safely, you have a responsibility to not do anything that affects his safety (eg swerving at him, speeding up).

This is going to be a he said/she argument unless you have video evidence. Leave it to the insurance companies to sort out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Clancy

Clancy Well-Known Member

This is why you need a dash cam. There are just too many people on the roads who think they can instantly change lanes whenever they feel like it.... it is a serious problem, we all need to report their arses... it is why everyone tailgates - because tailgating means there is physically not enough space for these IDIOTS. .... I don't mind letting people cut in to my lane if they indicate sufficiently to let me know that is what they are doing, but these idiots who change lanes often immediately changing lanes at the same instant of indicating giving me heart attack and no time to react actually force me to tailgate which i hate doing, but i got no choice.

4. nathen brett

nathen brett Member

Would a witness help in clearing the he said /she said side of thibgs?

5. Rod

Rod Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

Yes. Depends on how credible the witness is. The weight of the testimony is likely to be lower if they were in your car at the time of the accident.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...