VIC Car Accident While Changing Lanes - Who is at Fault?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Peter1010

18 April 2016
Recently, I was involved in a minor car accident. When my car stopped at the traffic light, I switched on my left signal light to show my intention to change to left lane. At the same time, I notice a car stop behind me also switching on the left signal light.

When I was coming out, the car suddenly sped up and came out at the same time, so we hit each other. My left front wheel and his right back door also have minor damages.

I would like to ask who is at fault?

Ponala

10 February 2015
I assume he will say you merged into his lane and you probably did. I would put you more at fault than him. You have to give way to the lane you are merging into and the damage would be consistent to you merging. Unfortunately courtesy is not a traffic law and he doesn't have to allow you to go first.

Clancy

6 April 2016
No, well, technically the other driver is at fault and I will explain why. You both want to change lanes, you follow correct procedure and indicate first before changing lanes. They rev straight out from behind you into the other lane without sufficient indication and then hit you.

You cannot react to someone who is one second not in the other lane and then suddenly is because they suddenly drove there.... BANG!

People who dive lanes are accidents waiting to happen but there is almost no enforcement, so this behaviour is rife. And the other problem is you are unlikely to convince authorities what they did because the end result on paper looks like your fault.

When it comes to court, you have to go with what is more likely/believable, so in that sense, yes, you are in the wrong, sorry.

Clancy

6 April 2016
These morons will dive from behind you into a left turn lane and cut you off from turning left. They will dive from behind you into other lanes when you are turning right.
Ever wonder why everyone tailgates? It's because these morons will dive in front of you and make you run into the back of them! I don't mind people cutting in front of me, so long as they give me warning first, without warning all of a sudden diving in front, it's madness!