QLD Mechanic has been fixing my car 7 months for a 3 day job. What are my rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gary

2 November 2014
I had a BMW mobile mechanic service my car in May 2023. He advised that the turbos needed replacing and not to drive the car. I sourced the turbos but when it came to get a mechanic most only supply and install. The best quote I had was for $1500 but they were on the other side of town. Was telling my friend he recommenedhis mechanic andi called.he asked a few questions asked what my best quote was and i told him he replied he could do better than that and asked me to send an email with all the details which i did. 2 weeks later we hadnt heard anything and rang. He said he got the email i said great when do you want me to bring it in. He said he was very busy at the moment call in a week. This went on from August through to October 6 2023 all the time saying "busy. Ring in a week" or "ring in a fortnight" October 6th he said bring it in. Arranged RACQ towtruck and took to workshop. He rang to say bigger job than he thought. From the quotes i got and youtube I know this is a 16-30 hour job fully qual mech with Turbo experience and a 24-70 hour job for DIY mechanic. Anyway he said that he had a lot of work come in regular customers i said if he needs to prioritise then do them first then tinker on mine. Since October 9th 2023 we have made numerous calls. if we got through we get "its on the list" "sons ill, only two of us and if he isnt here then i carry the workload", Ring next week" "its on the hoist" "weve made a start" "should be clear this week and we can get a good run at it" In January 2024 he contacts us to say needs hoses and complains to me "I said all the details were in the email you asked me to send in June 2023 and I highlighted the hose's and wrote let me know if you need these. he apologised. I sourced the hoses and within 5 days i had them they were delivered to premises. It was still ongoing. same reasons.
I called on 5th April, "its on the hoist", whats new, "they had been working on it and they were making progress". Left it a few days and rang again on Friday morning the 12th April. He said they had no work on and were going to work on it all day. I asked how long it would be, he said there was 2 full days required.
15th April 2024. "the Turbos were on but he had a client bring his van in, spewing oil and whatever else was wrong with it". I said I didn't care that he had an urgent job. That we had been accommodating, patient and empathetic to his son being ill and times he had to work on his own but, after 7 months it was time for my car to have priority. The mechanic said "i didn't want to take the job" and that I had nagged him. “that's not how I remember it" i replied. I sent you an email in June. Then we checked he got the email to which he said yes and when asked when he could fit it in he replied he was quite busy ring next week. After that, whenever we called to see if he could fit my car in he would say either “call this time next week” or “call in two weeks” That never once did he say he didn't or couldn't do the job. My ex said he again pointed out how patient and accommodating I had been and that it was time, after 7 months, for my car to be prioritised. My ex said so when will it be done. Ivan said he hoped to have done some more work by the end of the week. My ex said he wanted it completed by the end of the week so when should he call? Ivan replied he would contact one of us when he had any progress too give. We / I have been flexible regarding his business and the need to service regular clients and we have shown a tremendous amount of empathy regarding his son and the fact he has sometimes found himself working alone, but when does my car get a priority? When is my car Afforded the same priority and respect, which after 7 months we feel is warranted. Also paid for 12 months registration for this car, 7 months of which was spent in his workshop. 12 months registration on a 2007 335i is over $1000. So a 16 to 30 hour job has taken 7 months with still no completion date. I don't think I should wear this cost. What are my rights regarding this matter? can anyone please let me know or point me in the right direction. He has also purchased additional parts without prior consultation or approval and when asked for the costs he just ignores the question. There are other things but dont want to write a novel just give the general overview. I also requested more quotes in March 2024 to get an idea of current rates. Best quote and one that closely resembled work carried out on my car was $1350 for labour. Hope someone can help with advice and/or guidance