NSW mechanic fails to send pink slip to Transport NSW

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jacko999

4 May 2021
My mechanic failed to send through a "pink slip" to Transport NSW in January. In March I got stopped by police & fined for "unregistered vehicle" which is how I discovered mechanic's failure. I have his invoice dated 2 days before rego due & Third Party Insurance notifcation they have informed Transport NSW of accepted payment for insurance. ( as pensioner I pay no registration cost)
But the fine stands & my complaint not accepted.
Speaking to Transport NSW they agree that I followed exact requirements requested by them : 1 obtained pink slip which mechanic automatically sends to them and likewise Insurance. Seems a bit of a great area.
# Third Party insurance also only refunded after I contacted them in March.
Mechanic re-sent pink slip after I contacted him in March & car registered but I'm left with fine & possible points loss.

Police officer was symapthetic as I explained situation & imposed only one fine out of possible 3.

jacko999

4 May 2021
Answer came there none.
This is one of the most difficult forums to negotiate (although the adverts pop up with great regularity).
Need to be more honest with posters & inform them they are very unlikely to get a response from a trained solicitor on matters of law, rather a helpful member. I could get that from my neighbour. It's meaningless. Is the forum really to sell advertisements and members posting difficult questions just a side-line?
Some of the cases posted on here are unique and raise interesting matters in law but what's the point? I studied law for 4 years, 40 years ago before giving up & choosing a different occupation but I found legal problems to be fascinating and more the unusual the better.
I got a very good, helpful response from my local court Magistrate during one his open days. Nothing on here.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Perhaps if you had asked an actual question, your outcome may have been different.

jonnoL

21 August 2021
I think Blind Freddy could see I have a unique problem- a fine for an unregistered vehicle which was not my fault but a mechanic's fault under a system imposed upon drivers by the NSW State government. Obviously I want to know if I have a genuine legal grievance or I wouldn't have come to a "legal advice" forum so why a response having a dig?
If this forum is unable to offer advice (and yes-understandable it cannot be taken as legal advice per se) whay is the point?

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Why have a dig? Read the post above mine. I was merely responding to an unfounded criticism. There are a number of ‘trained solicitors’ who are active on this site.

We are not mind readers. And we’re not going to take a guess and cover any number of aspects that could be involved in your situation.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I think Blind Freddy could see I have a unique problem- a fine for an unregistered vehicle which was not my fault but a mechanic's fault under a system imposed upon drivers by the NSW State government. Obviously I want to know if I have a genuine legal grievance or I wouldn't have come to a "legal advice" forum so why a response having a dig?
If this forum is unable to offer advice (and yes-understandable it cannot be taken as legal advice per se) whay is the point?
(Blind Freddy here is wondering why there are now two usernames writing about the same scenario)

From where I sit, there's no grey.
As a matter of law, the error here appears to be yours.
You don't appear to have done the actual renewal transaction.

Your personal registration fee is set to zero dollars.
Zero is the dollar amount the government charges you for the transaction
(others pay some hundreds).
A fee of zero is not an exemption from having to have your vehicle registered.

--------------------------------------------
PS: It's the ads that help make this site possible.
If you have a problem with the ads, then
feel free to make an appointment with any of the lawyers,
who will charge you $450 instead.