QLD Manufacturing Fault in Holden Rodeo - Lemon Car?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ray Cleary

30 June 2015
Would I still have a claim for a lemon car? Purchased in 2007 from local dealer, 2003 Holden Rodeo work ute 100,000 km. It was serviced as required by local business and myself and a retired mechanic. Early last year after 85,000 km, the motor died, my $17K purchase now virtually worthless. On having V6 motor rebuilt later in the year with borrowed $5K, I uncovered a manufacture fault in that a right-hand cam had been placed on the left side which led to that cylinder bank wearing out this motor was destined to fail.

Thanks for any help.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Ray,

Under Australian Consumer Law, manufacturers have to ensure that their goods are of acceptable quality. What constitutes acceptable quality depends on the product.

Are you saying that your motor died after only 185000km? As someone who has only basic knowledge of cars, I am guessing that 185000km is far less wear than a reasonable person would expect to get out of an engine in a modern vehicle.

If a fault of the manufacturer caused the engine to stop working prematurely, then you can certainly pursue them to compensate you for the money you had to spend on replacing the engine.

Give Qld Fair Trading a call to see how much advice and help they can offer you to get you started.