VIC Bought a Lemon Car - My Options Under Australian Consumer Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Alexis

1 March 2016
Hi,

I bought a lemon car for $14,000 approx. on the 4/12/2014 that came with the statutory warranty for motor car sales as it was under 10 years old. Prior to purchase, the car was inspected (pre-purchase vehicle inspection) by an authorized vic roads mechanic / tester.

4 months after purchase, the car had an electronic issue (I can't recall what it was exactly), which cost me around $3,000. I have now owned the car just over a year and have incurred almost $18,000 approx. of mechanical bills, due to the car always fauting. I would like to know if I can take action against either the seller of the car or the vehicle inspection company?

I am absolutely appalled and believe that either, or both mentioned parties knew I would encounter many faults and major mechanical issues within 12 months of purchase.

If you could let me know my options under Australian Consumer Law and what I can do about this issue, I would be forever grateful.